Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Nibberittet ‘from fjord to mountain’ 21 km hill climb, Geiranger 16.06.2012

Most of the races in my local region pass through stunning scenery but this has to be one of the best. The race takes place in the heart of the Geirangerfjord that is part of Norway’s Western Fjord area. The area is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and has been voted the best preserved world heritage site and the best destination in the world in terms of cultural, environmental and aesthetic integrity by National Geographic Traveler.

The race is only 21 kms long but climbs from 0-1500 metres and includes 35 180-degree bends. Most of the race is on tarmac but there is a short gravel section after 5-6 kms at Knuten, and a long ‘lung-bursting’ dirt track for the last 5 kms. The first 13-14 kms has an average incline of 9%, the road then flattens out for 2-3 kms before hitting the 5 km dirt track from Djupvasshytte to the Dalsnibba summit with an average incline of over 10% (see: Elevation curve and Nibberittet compared to iconic Tour De France climbs).

The route

The last 5 kms

The elite race set off a few minutes before the rest of us but there were some serious climbers in the main field too so the pace was high from the start. A group of 18 riders went clear in the first few kms. I was surprised to be one of them!

Main field splitting-up in the first few kms
 
(photo: Arild Gjørvad)

3 guys went off the front of my group but I managed to stay with the rest of the group for 12 kms. After yet another surge from the front of that group, I fell out of the back. I was gutted to let them go at that point as I knew that the road flattened off after another 1 or 2 kms and with strong headwinds, it was a real disadvantage to be alone but after riding in the red for so long, I just couldn’t give any more. I was caught by Eirik André Helsem (an elite TVK rider that I pressume we had passed earlier). He sat on my wheel until the road flattened out and then took a few turns on the front but I think he was suffering more than me at this point because I managed to lose him as soon as we started the last climb, so I continued alone for the last 5 kms. It was tough to push myself without anyone in-front or behind me but I was very happy with my effort on the last climb.

Me and Eirik André Helsem turning onto the final 5 km climb
(photo: Angleique Helset)

We set off in temperatures of about 14 degrees centigrade. It was very windy most of the way up but fortunately, 10-metre high walls of snow protected us from the wind on much of the last 5 kms to the top.

Walls of snow
 

At the summit, it was snowing and about 0 degrees. Time to get wrapped-up and cycle back down to Geiranger for a warm shower. Shame the showers were cold!!!!!

Enjoying the weather at the summit

Getting wrapped-up for the ride back down to Geiranger

Views from the summit (the race starts at the fjord in the distance)

Views back down the final climb


Winner of the men's elite race (Kjetil Andreas Ertsås, TVK)
(photo: Arild Gjørvad)

Winner of the women's elite race (Hanne Trønnes, Ottadalen SK) & Borghild Løvset (Orkla CK)
(photo: Arild Gjørvad)

Race results
I finished the race in 1:20:53. Strong headwinds meant that the course was slower than last year but I still managed to go 6 minutes faster. I finished in 28th place overall out of 353 riders, and was 9th in my age group. The race was won by Kjetil Andreas Ertsås (elite rider with TVK) in 1:06:53 with Hallvar Barlaup (Fannefjord SK) in 2nd place with a time of 1:10:45. The first two ladies had a close battle with Hanne Trønnes (Ottadalen SK) taking 1st place in 1:19:17 and Borghild Løvset (Orkla CK) just 1 second back in 1:19:18.

No comments:

Post a Comment